Sunday, April 26, 2009

I Hate Mosquitoes

There was a mosquito on the bathroom wall today. As I went to smash it and end it's horrible life, I jammed my thumb against the wall really hard. So now I look like a cartoon character that hit himself in the thumb with a hammer. Don't worry, the mosquito died. I passionately hate all mosquitoes. We used to have this big wall in our kitchen where we'd kill mosquitoes. It'd make my mom mad because we didn't clean up the bodies after we smashed them. It was only half us being lazy, and the other half me leaving them there as a warning to other mosquitoes. I really wish I could meet with the head mosquito and agree to leave out a little bowl of blood that they could eat instead of them biting me. At this point in human development, the little itchy bump doesn't do anything to hinder my ability to live, so it's just an annoyance. I would be totally okay with being bit if they didn't leave mosquito bites. Also, beyond the mosquito bites, I hate it when there's a mosquito in my room at night and it buzzes in my ear. Really? Just bite me and stop pissing me off. It just encourages me to go out of my way to kill you. On another note, have you ever seen a male mosquito? They're huge and horrifying, but ya know what? They at least don't bite me.


I was reading some fmylife.com today, and this was my favorite one:

Today, I had an interview for a job in a professor's lab. He seemed like a really nice, grandfatherly old guy. We got up to go take a look around the lab, and he held out his arms really wide to me... so I went in for a hug. Turns out he was just gesturing for me to go through the door first. FML


So I really want to dilate someone's eye and look around for a while. I saw almost nothing during the little physical we did. I mean, I kinda saw some vessels, but it was about as clear as a picture of Bigfoot. That's one of the coolest things we've done. Looking at the ear drum (tympanic membrane) was pretty cool as well. These are the 'fun' physical skills that everyone assumes we learn in the first week of school. We have no idea what we're looking for or hearing when we listen to the heart, but dammit! I know where to listen at least.


Is it bad that I get excited when class doesn't start at 8am? I know only like 20 of us are actually at those 8am classes, but still, it's nice when I get to "sleep in". Tomorrow's 9:15. That's fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever found yourself liking a truly horrible song? Lately, I've been jamming out to "America's Suitehearts" by Fall Out Boy. It is so bad, but I can't stop listening to it and it's driving me nuts that I like it. One of the lyrics is, honest to God, "Dude said what. Hut hut hike. Media blitz!" The rest of the song isn't much better. Nonetheless, I've listened to it every day for the past two weeks. I'm also having some cognitive dissonance about liking a band with such atrocious lyrics because I hate Fergie for that very reason. "I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket..." Really? "My London London bridge wanna go down..." Really??? And all the spelling she does is the cherry on the shit sundae. I hate her music with a passion. But for whatever reason, Fall Out Boy is all over my iPod. I guess it could be worse, but still.

    At least I'm only drawn to bad music, which is over in like four minutes. On his radio show a while back, Howard Stern said that there're certain movies he has to watch when they're on TV. He was complaining that every time Daredevil comes on TV, he has to watch it. He admitted that it is a horrible movie, but he can't help himself. Howard Stern's problem takes about two hours from his life from time to time, and yet it could still be worse. A lot of people are serially attracted to people who are bad for them. Even though they know it, they can't help themselves. This takes months and in some cases years from their lives.

    This brings us to my question for the doctors: Why are we wired to be attracted to things that are so horrible?

    ReplyDelete