Sunday, May 10, 2009

Hockey Journal

Friday night, my first hockey game in over 4 years. We have 6 skaters.

9:00 - My second time skating in a few years. It feels pretty good. I can still move well and handle a puck with relative decency.

9:10 - The game begins. I'm flying around the ice like I used to when I was 16. I can skate around people and I feel great.

9:15 - I don't remember being so tired after just a few minutes of hockey. Why are my lungs burning?

9:17 - I get the puck on a breakaway and skate down the ice as fast as I can. One on one with me and the goalie. I fake right and go left. My hands seem to forget how to flip a puck. I gently shoot it into his pads. Damn.

9:18 - I can't breathe. I think I'm dying. I take a knee on the ice before the faceoff. Why did I take that breakaway?

9:22 - I get my first break on the bench. Why do I feel like I was just beaten? My entire body is throbbing. No. Don't skate towards the bench. Dang...gotta go back on.

9:23 - I don't even feel like I had a break. My lungs are still burning. My legs won't move. I coast after people as they streak towards our net.

9:30 - The period is over. I sit on the ice, not talking to anyone.

9:32 - The second period starts. I need a new strategy. I can't keep this up. I've been trying not to puke for 10 minutes. We still have two more periods. I'm going to play defense for a bit.

9:40 - Oh crap, the puck is open and there's no one in front of me. Not another breakaway. Can I 'accidentally' fall so I don't have to take this? We're down 2-0, I have to try.

9:40:20 - Seriously? Did I just mess up breakaway number 2 on the night? What is this feeling? Did someone shoot a flaming arrow into my chest?

9:40:27 - The other team has a 3 on 1 going the other way. I could make it if I skated really hard, but I would also puke somewhere in the slot and not be able to move for the next 10 minutes.

9:41 - They scored. I feel like I should have been able to get back. I swear I'm developing Guillain-Barre. My legs just aren't moving.

9:45 - Coasting...

9:50 - Coasting...

9:55 - Just a few minutes left. I can't believe I made it. I haven't puked yet. This is the worst hockey I've played in years, but I'm still standing. I'll take the pride point for being alive.

10:00 - Game over. Loss, 6-0.


Saturday night's game went much better. John Sullivan finally showed up and was immediately the player of the game with 5 goals. I got 2 myself and an assist. I also blew another breakaway (4 on the year) and missed about 30 one-timers from Pete and Dave. In the 3rd period, we started sending breakaways towards our goalie so he had something to do. Ray deserves some special mention for Friday being his first game of hockey ever and doing better than I did in my first 3 years. Stay tuned for more news on Dragon 5. (We'll be changing that. I like 'Hemiballers' myself.)

No comments:

Post a Comment