Thursday, March 5, 2009

Exams = Bad Days

Yesterday I was in a terrible mood. It wasn't like I woke up and got punched in the groin by a gnome, then I'd understand why I was so pissy. I was just in a really bad mood. I suppose that happens each round of exams, and this one probably moreso. I think it's the combination of feeling unprepared, studying a lot, and lack of sleep that just add up and make us have those random bad days. And I felt extra bad because when I was in the Gross Lab, Jess asked me if I was having a bad day. Just totally out of nowhere. I was like, "Wow, I must look really angry." I feel bad because it's not the people in my life making me angry, it's school. Next time you see someone having a bad day, give them a hug, they probably need it.


My last car, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville with 240,000 miles on it, didn't have heat. It had enough that I wouldn't die driving it around Wisconsin in the winter, but it couldn't actually get warm. So now that I have a new car, I still don't turn on the heat. This past winter I would just be cold, but I didn't mind. I got used to not having heat and just dealt with it. I actually feel bad when I turn it on because it seems like a luxury. It's kinda like how we just deal with med school. "Eh, it's just how life is."


I was really excited when Dr. Menon talked about the fainting goats in class yesterday. If you haven't seen the video, watch it. It's hilarious.


Has anyone ever noticed how sharp paper is? We're constantly surrounded by large, rectangular knives. Why is this allowed?!


You know how you narrow an exam question down to 2 or 3 answers? I've noticed that in some classes (Physio) I'm terrible at guessing the correct one. Like, if I flipped a coin or rolled a dice, I would get better results than if I went with what I thought. But in Biochem I'm totally the opposite. I can usually narrow it down, and then I guess right. That was most obvious to me when I feel horrible walking out of a Biochem exam but then do decent, as opposed to feeling a little less horrible after Physio and then getting a punch in the crotch when I get my grade.

(Sorry about all the crotch punching anaolgies. Also, "die" is the correct singular form of dice, but I didn't want to roll a "die" during a Physio exam. I was dying enough already... And I wasn't wearing a tye-dyed shirt. Or casting metal on a die. Or dicing some vegetables. All I know is whatever I answer, no dice.)

No comments:

Post a Comment