Sunday, March 8, 2009

Little Med School Moments

I love those little moments in med school where I'm really happy I learned something. Like how we learned that because the left testicular vein is attached to the renal vein, most guys hang left. Or how I explained to my friend where the symptoms of lactose intolerance come from. I've looked at my hands for years and understood that there were tendons there, but didn't get the whole structure. I'm still amazed that when you wiggle your fingers the back of your arm moves. Possibly my favorite is when I'm in the bathroom at a bar, and I can't help but wish I could somehow control my ADH levels.


For all of you out there having a bad week, wasn't Daylight Savings just a slap in the face? This was like the worst possible weekend to lose an hour. The only upside is that next week I get an extra hour to party.


It's Lent now, and I try to be really aware about eating meat on Fridays. But I feel like I've kinda taken it too far. Like before I went to make a cup of tea, I was like, "Whoa! Is there meat in this?" I'm not saying I wouldn't drink bacon flavored tea, I'm just saying I don't have any.


Was anyone else super excited when Dr. Menon FOILed (p+q)^2? I haven't seen that in forever.


There are moments where I'm disappointed with myself. Like during the upper limb joint clinical correlation there was a picture of a guy with his wrist cut almost completely off from medial to lateral with a radial saw. And all I could think of was, "Well, wouldn't that be an ulnar saw?" That's a terrible joke, and I still told Bill.


So I've been getting kinda sick lately, and I realized that after almost a year of med school I have no advantage in treating a cold. Sleep, Zicam, chicken soup, and orange juice. That will be made up for when we bring a whole bunch of Pedialyte on spring break with us. My only concern is that inner voice in me that's going to think, "I wonder how well this stuff really works..." And then I drink myself into oblivion to test the upper limits of its rehydration abilities. It's all in the name of science so it's totally ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment