Sunday, February 15, 2009

Boredom, Pride, and Remembrance

I'd like to say that I'm really proud that I called us all out for not knowing our left and right. As soon as I saw that question, I was like, "WHOSE RIGHT!?"

I've discovered a new type of boredom. It's the boredom we all get from studying. It's not the normal 'nothing to do' boredom, but a much more sinister 'a lot of not fun stuff to do' boredom. After looking at my Gross notes for so long, they just no longer interest me. And that's when I'm by no means ready to be done studying. That happened on like Sunday. I can't even say "I wish I had something to do." What I really mean is "I wish I had something to do that doesn't suck."

You know that thing they tell you when you get to college "Sleep, good grades, and a social life. Pick 2." Med school's kinda like that, but it's more like "Pick 1/2."

As excited as I am that Micro and Physio are over, I feel like I'm parting ways with old friends. They've always been there for us on the start of this journey, and now they're gone. No more looking at slides, no more pretending to care about ion channels, no more 1,100 page syllabus. Farewell dear companions! When we look back next year for boards, we shall curse you once more.


I remember...

I remember when going out Thursday, Friday, Saturday before an exam was totally fine.

I remember when I thought undergrad was hard.

I remember thinking med school was an endpoint, not a beginning.

I remember when I had time to cook.

I remember thinking I was smart.

I remember working out 12 hours a week.

I remember not having reading to do outside of class.


But, I also remember...

I remember when I didn't understand the endocrine system.

I remember when I used to suck at scrabble because I didn't know words like "fremitus"

I remember being amazed every day since I've been here.

I remember that this is a journey that we're all a part of.

I remember what I'll be doing in a few years every time I walk to Wall Street.

I remember that this is amazing, and there's nothing else I'd rather be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment