Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Car Thinks I'm Evil

So my car thinks I'm kidnapping children. When I throw my bag onto the passenger seat, the 'seat belt' light turns on and the car beeps at me. Now, my bag weighs, what, 25 pounds? 30 if I have some atlases in it. Who does my car think is sitting in that seat? Does it think I'm kidnapping a 2-year old? And if it does, why is it not calling the police? Not only do I have a child in the front seat, but he's also not buckled up. That's a double whammy. My car needs to have a light that means "Dude, put him in the back in a child seat." Or a light for, "Hey, creeper, stop kidnapping children."


I question the benefit of us learning the ins and outs of all the biochemisty we're learning right now. Not the actual biochem, but the techniques used to find all this stuff. Like, mentioning it in passing would be ok, but going through all this chromosome mapping is ridiculous. We can do all sorts of ridiculous things like sequencing stuff now. All that is completely obsolete. It'd be like not using preservatives in our cadavers because "That's how it was originally done."


I want to congratulate whoever came up with the words 'digiti minimi'. I can't say that without laughing.
"Let's call it 'digiti minimi'"
"Are you serious? That doesn't even sound real."
"I know, but can you imagine going to a conference and hearing doctors discussing that?"
"You can't name an anatomical structure based on comedic effect."


Speaking of things that make me laugh, Dr. Lim always talks to our Gross lab before we start each dissection. "Now, when you dissect the upper limb." (giggle) "make sure you use the board to put the limb to the side." (giggling louder) "The lower limbs are detached, so those limbs will have more mobility." (on the ground rolling). I do this every day.


The guy who won the Best Short Film Oscar made me feel good with his acceptance speech. He said he spent 4 years on the 14-minute film. Granted, after our 4 years we won't have a golden statue, but I feel like we'll have a lot more to show for our work.

No comments:

Post a Comment