Saturday, February 7, 2009

Med School: The Ultimate Hazing

My brother and I were talking about this over break: Isn't graduate school just a bunch of hazing? I know a lot of the stuff we learn is practical, but Micro? I doubt I will ever again care how many muscle layers distinguish a small artery from an arteriole. Or the flow of blood through the spleen. More than likely my thoughts will be "Holy crap their spleen is bleeding! We should take care of that right away!" Even the doctors that come in tell us they pimp their residents on ridiculous stuff like what the artery in the round ligament is called that gives an negligible amount of blood to the uterus. Having to know that is not much different than "Dude, everyone's done the paddle gauntlet. Put the blindfold on, take your pants off, and just walk forward." And like half of our founders have their names put somewhere in the anatomy. "You will NOT call that the 'rectouterine pouch! Brother Douglas worked for years to find that, and you will show him the proper respect!"

You know when someone is walking towards you and they wave, but you have no idea who they are, so then you have to decide whether or not to wave back? This happened to me today, and I totally didn't wave back. Whenever I wave back, it turns out they were looking at someone right behind me and I feel like a jackass. There's no way to play it off if you wave because the person waving at you knows you weren't the intended target and that you have no idea who they are. If you don't wave, you can be like "Oh, I didn't recognize you. hahaha" It turned out that I didn't know her. Kurt-1, Unnecessary waving-0.

I hate how they don't really have pronunciations in our notes. Yeah, I could look it up online or in my medical dictionary, but I'm really lazy. You just kinda have to guess with things like "psoas" or "cotyledon". And usually you get it right, but sometimes Latin is a bastard. My favorite one was where I read the word 'contraindicated' but for some reason emphasized it "CONTRAINdicated", so it made no sense. That went on for like a year until my CFMP guy said it and I had one of those 'Aha! moments'. That's the kind of stuff we all do, but nobody ever talks about it.

Sometimes when I'm typing the word "thanks" I accidentally type "tanks". But I have to say, I'm not usually disappointed because tanks are awesome.


More words that are fun to say:

volvulus

obturator

sciatic

pampiniform

epinephrine

No comments:

Post a Comment