Sunday, February 1, 2009

Fantasies

You know how you day dream randomly? Most of the time you save the day or do something awesome. As med school has gone on, I have more random thoughts about how I can do that as a doctor. Now, I want to go into Emergency Medicine, so that's rather easy for me. Bus accident where I totally call a tension pneumothorax, and it saves a kid's life. I see a car accident while driving and perform a tracheotomy on the side of the road. I'm curious as to what other specialties think about. Not to bash Dermatology, but did you see a small mole that looks like nothing, but you thought might be dangerous, so after the tests came back a week later, it really was malignant and you're the hero? As a Family Medicine doctor, do you notice a case of Ebola and prevent an epidemic?


Sometimes I have those moments where I hear something and all of a sudden something else will make sense. Not like, "I finally understand what a radian is!" after sitting through 2 weeks of calculus, but things that happen years apart. In Gross Lab Dr. Lowrie was talking about tantric sex as he was helping us dissect the clitoris. The inherent disturbingness of that aside, he mentioned that the artist Sting was famous for that. From somewhere in the depths of my head came the song One Week by Barenaked Ladies:

Chickity china the chinese chicken
You have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin
Watchin x-files with no lights on, were dans la maison
I hope the smoking mans in this one
Like harrison ford Im getting frantic
Like sting Im tantric
Like snickers, guaranteed to satisfy
Like kurasawa I make mad films
Okay I dont make films
But if I did theyd have a samurai

The exact same thing happened in my Japanese history class when we were talking about the director, Kurasawa. I wonder what else is in that song....


How cool of a disease is 'Thyroid Storm'? They mention it on House from time to time because it's just so badass. Seriously, that sounds like a superpower.

I'm greatly saddened by the end of football season today. My grades will slowly improve until March and then drop again as my bracket falls apart like a Chinua Achebe novel...

I hope you all have One Week stuck in your head for the rest of the day. I know I will.

1 comment:

  1. If only one person gets that literary reference, I'll be happy.

    ReplyDelete