Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sex Comments and Legitimate Help

-Page 1217 of our Physio notes uses the term "intromission" which I'd never heard before. I thought I figured out what it meant, but then it said it usually lasts only 10 minutes, so it couldn't be what I thought. Those poor, poor women with 10 minute intromission sessions...

-I wonder how long it would take my roommate to start lactating if I consistently drugged him with prolactin. I wonder even more how long it would take before he told me.

-I have a much greater appreciation for the female reproductive cycle now after learning this. Now, I say 'appreciation' and not sympathy. It's completely ruined the mysticism, and now I know much more about female cycles than most of my female friends. At least I don't feel awkward when they ask me questions about it. "Oh, it's just endometrial lining." I remember when that used to be gross....

-You have to think that in some foreign country or even here there's some student who's learning about all this for the first time. "What do you mean females bleed from their vagina's once a month? Why have I never seen a woman bleeding? What do they use to stop it?" Can you imagine if someone asked that in class? I feel like I'd laugh a little, but someone would have to sit him down and give him the whole spiel. I don't think there'd be many volunteers.


I wonder if they figured out some of the dermatomes by different body parts falling asleep. Yesterday like half my inner thigh fell asleep, and it was about one or two dermatomes. From there do you think some doctor would intentionally try to compress certain parts to see what happened? I'm just imagining a doctor sitting in a lab tying off different parts of his body to see what started hurting.


Accidental HCl in the water supply.
I read this story the other day and it made me wonder if this was like a cartoon where Scratchy has the bottles for 'Shampoo' and 'Caustic Acid' right next to each other and Itchy just switches the lables. Why would you even have lots of HCl in a water treatment plant? That's like having a drawer full of loaded guns in a preschool.


Mnemonics:

-They shouldn't be called Hofbauer Cells, but JackBauer Cells because they kill everything trying to get to the placenta.

-Estrogen and progesterone both affect the pulses of GnRH, but in different ways. If you draw a whole bunch of cursive e's, you get Estrogen's effect: lowered amplitude, but same frequency. (A bunch of little loops close together kinda looks like the graph) If you draw a bunch of cursive p's, you get Progesterone's effect: same amplitude, but less frequent. (The tail of the "p" reminds you that it has a greater amplitude, and the "p" is a bigger letter to draw, so there will be less of them in the same space.)

-In Kallman's Syndrome, somebody killed the Man that Kalls the cells to the hypothalamus. Thus, they never migrate.

-LH stimlulates Leydig Cells (both have L's). If you have high levels of testosterone, you want to get Leyd (Laid). (Leydig Cells produce testosterone)

-The rami of the pelvis (ischiopubic and superior ramus of pubis) are like the grey and white rami of the sypmathetic trunk. It's the same word and they look like little connections. Bonus Dr. Giffin tip: "Ramus" comes from a Latin word for "Branch".

-There are two Rathke folds because Right Rathke fold has two R's with it. There is only one Tourneux fold.

1 comment:

  1. do you still have that cartoon from the cardinal or the herald where they talk about a woman's superpower: being able to shoot blood from their vaginas?

    ReplyDelete